Rachael’s Spanish Eggs in Purgatory
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil ( EVOO)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped, plus a handful of leaves, finely chopped, for serving
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced or chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 6 piquillo peppers in water, drained and thinly sliced
- 1 pound hot Spanish chorizo, casings removed and meat cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar or splash of dry sherry
- 1 (15-ounce) can passata
- 1-2 splashes chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 4 large eggs
- Handful chopped fresh parsley
- Crusty bread
Heat a medium-large cast-iron skillet or other ovenproof skillet over medium high. Preheat oven to 400˚F. Add oil to the skillet, two turns of the pan. Add onion, chopped celery and garlic, and season with salt, pepper and paprika. Cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies soften, about 5 minutes. Add peppers and chorizo. Cook until fat renders, 2-3 minutes. Add sherry vinegar to the pan. Stir in passata, chicken stock, and Tabasco. Make 4 wells in the chunky sauce. Crack 1 egg into a ramekin, then drop into a well in the sauce. Repeat with the remaining 3 eggs.
Transfer skillet to the oven. Bake until eggs are soft- to medium-poached, 12-15 minutes.
Top with chopped parsley and celery leaves. Serve from the skillet into shallow bowls. Pass crusty bread alongside.
From Rachael Ray Every Day, March 2018.