Rach’s Smoked Chicken Wings with Hot Plum Sauce
- 3-4 pounds chicken wings, split, tips removed, or use drumettes
For the Hot Plum Sauce:
- ½ cup no sugar added plum preserves
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup Tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- 1-inch piece ginger, sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup hot sauce, such as Chipotle Tabasco
- 1 teaspoon Szechuan pepper or coarse black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Toasted sesame seeds, to garnish
- 5-6 scallions, whites and greens, thinly sliced on a bias
In a small pot, combine the plum preserves, chicken stock, tamari, ginger, garlic, hot sauce, Szechuan pepper and sesame oil. Simmer to thicken, then remove the ginger slices and set pot aside.
Smoke chicken wings at 325, according to your smoker’s instructions, for about 60 minutes or until the skin is tight and the chicken is fully cooked through.
To serve, top with sesame seeds and scallion.