Rajas con Queso Breakfast Tacos
Rach is bringing an Austin classic to this year’s Feedback with these breakfast tacos served with peppers in cheese sauce with eggs and tots!
- 8 poblano peppers
- 1 bag extra-crisp tater tots
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or chopped
- 1 cup fire roasted frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup Mexican crema or crème fraiche
- 1 cup shredded Asadero or Monterey Jack or mozzarella cheese
- 10 eggs
- 2 teaspoons chipotle Tabasco or jalapeño Tabasco
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, both whites and greens
- A handful of cilantro leaves, chopped
- 12-15 small flour tortillas
Place peppers on a foil-lined baking sheet and char evenly under broiler to blacken. Next, place peppers in a bowl and cover. Let them cool. Peel, halve lengthwise, seed, and stem the peppers. Slice the peppers to make about ½ inch thick pieces.
For the tots, preheat the oven to 435 F or according to the instructions on the package. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the tots in a single, even layer. Bake for 25 minutes or until crisp. While the tots are baking, mix about 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, cumin, and coriander in a ramekin. When tots come out of oven, sprinkle evenly with seasoning.
Heat a medium- to large-sized skillet over medium to medium-high heat with olive oil – 1 turn of the pan. Add the onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened, about 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and peppers and toss to combine. Then add the corn to heat through. Add the crema and stir to mix. Then add the cheese and turn with a spatula to melt. Lower the heat and cover to keep warm.
Whisk up the eggs. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the hot sauce.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Melt the butter, and when it foams, add the eggs and cook to desired doneness. Top with scallions.
Blister and soften the tortillas over an open flame or in a dry stainless steel skillet over high heat.
To build one taco, fill with rajas con queso, top with tots, add eggs and cilantro, and serve.