This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com .
- For Ruebens, 1 1/4 pounds ground beef or For Rachels, 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika, 2/3 palmful
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 3 tablespoons grated onion
- A drizzle canola or olive oil
- 1 package sauerkraut, rinsed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco
- 3 tablespoons minced chives
- Softened butter
- 8 slices marble bread or good quality rye with caraway seeds
- Brown mustard or grainy Dijon
- 6 slices Muenster or cheddar cheese
- 6 slices Swiss or Comte cheese
- Deli pickles to serve
Heat a large, double burner griddle or a large, cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
Combine meat and salt, pepper, paprika, mustard, coriander, allspice, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire, garlic and grated onion, and mix. Form 4 thin patties thinner at the center and thicker at edges for even cooking.
Drizzle hot griddle with oil and cook patties about 8 minutes total, turning once. Remove, wipe griddle clean and reduce heat to medium.
Warm the sauerkraut in a small pot .
Mix the sauce in small bowl : sour cream, ketchup, relish, salt, pepper, lemon juice, Tabasco, teaspoon of Worcestershire and chives.
Lightly butter one side of all the sliced bread.
Build sandwiches: With the buttered side of bread down, top bread with mustard, 1 1/2 slices Muenster or cheddar cheese, a patty, some sauerkraut, 1 1/2 slices Swiss cheese, then slather top slice of bread with some special sauce with the buttered side facing up and set into place.
Griddle sandwiches until deeply golden, crisp and the cheese has melted. Cut the sandwiches corner to corner and serve with pickles alongside. Pass extra sauce at the table.