This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1 eggplant, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 small zucchini, seeded and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- Olive oil, for liberal drizzling
- 24 cocktail tomatoes
- 1 red chili pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced or crushed
- A couple sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 pound penne rigate
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Salt eggplant and let it drain on kitchen towels.
Preheat oven to 425°F and set racks in the upper and lower third of oven.
Roast vegetables and tomatoes 20-25 minutes, rotating pans halfway through. Eggplant and zucchini should be browned and tender, and the tomatoes burst.
Bring a large pot  of water to a boil for the pasta. Add salt and pasta.
Mash tomatoes, garlic and chilies together in a serving bowl ; stir in eggplant and zucchini.
Add half a cup of starchy cooking water to the sauce, drain pasta and add it to the bowl . Toss everything together to combine and adjust seasoning. Serve topped with a few drizzles of EVOO and cheese.