Roast Veal with Fennel, Shallots, Potatoes and Plum-Cranberry Chutney
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1 4-pound, boneless veal shoulder or leg, tied
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for liberal drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons (2/3 palmful) fennel seed
- 12 large shallots, peeled and halved
- 3 fennel bulbs, trimmed and cut into eighths
- 2 pounds fingerling potatoes, halved
- 2 bulbs garlic, halved
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 3 tablespoons butter
For the Plum-Cranberry Chutney:
- 1 1/2 pounds Italian plums or other plums of choice, pitted and sliced into 1-inch wedges or cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons each cumin, caraway and mustard seed, toasted and ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 large shallots or 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 inches ginger root, peeled and grated
Preheat oven to 375°F. Bring veal to room temperature.
Slather roast with EVOO and rub with kosher salt, coarse black pepper, rosemary, thyme and fennel seed.
Place shallots, fennel and potatoes in a roasting pan and coat with EVOO, salt and pepper. Set roast on top of potatoes and fennel and roast about 1 hour and 50 minutes to 2 hours, until it reaches an internal temperature of 160°F.
For the chutney, place all ingredients in small pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat a bit and cook 20 minutes or so to thicken and cranberries have popped.
Transfer roast to carving board and trim strings; let rest 20 minutes. Arrange fennel and potatoes on a platter and cover to keep warm. Place roasting pan with drippings on the stove and whisk in wine. Reduce liquid by half then add stock and butter, and cook a few minutes to thicken a bit. Transfer to gravy/sauce boat.
Arrange slices of veal on top of the fennel and potatoes, and serve with gravy and chutney alongside.