Roasted Pork Chicken and Sausage with Wilted Greens
The gorgeous, hearty meal will satify meatlovers and greens lovers alike. Rachael’s roasting blend intensifies the flavor.
For the roasting salt:
- 3 tablespoons rosemary, leaves, stripped from stems
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 10-12 leaves sage
- 2-3 small fresh bay leaves
- 2 small dried red chili peppers or 1 round teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dehydrated onion or onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons toasted fennel seeds
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup Kosher salt
For the meats and potatoes:
- 2 tablespoons coarse black pepper
- 1 chicken (4-5 pounds), backbone removed (butterflied or spatchcocked)
- 1 pork loin roast (3-4 pounds)
- About 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for liberal drizzling
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 3-4 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 8 links Italian sausages with fennel or a mix of sweet and hot
- 2 lemons, halved
For the wilted chard and spinach:
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2-2 pounds stemmed chard and/or spinach
- Salt, pepper and nutmeg, to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
For the Roast Pork, Chicken and Sausages:
Pre-heat the oven to 425°F. Arrange the racks in the oven to accommodate two shallow roasting dishes/casseroles or 2 medium size, rimmed baking pans.
For the roasting salt, combine all the ingredients except the salt and pepper in a spice mill or mini food processor. Pulse to finely chop and combine flavors. Stir together with the salt and pepper.
Place the chicken and pork on a baking dish. Slather both with EVOO and coat evenly on both sides with the roasting salt, reserving some for the potatoes. Place the baking dish in the oven and brown the chicken and pork all over, about 12 minutes on each side. Remove to a rack and toss the sausages and potatoes in the drippings; season with roasting salt. Add 1 cup wine to each pan and turn the sausages in the juices to coat the casings. Set the chicken and pork back into their pans and roast for 45-55 minutes longer until the pork reaches 145°F and the chicken juices run clear. Remove the meats from the oven.
Add a drizzle of EVOO to a small pan; heat over medium-high heat. Add the lemon halves, cut-side down, and caramelize. Douse the chicken and pork with lemon juice, let stand 10 minutes at room temperature. Use a cleaver or shears to cut the poultry and slice the pork.
Pass the meats and sausages on a large warm platter and serve the potatoes and wilted chard and spinach alongside.
For the Wilted Chard and Spinach:
Heat the EVOO, four turns of the pan, over low heat. Add the garlic and stir for 2 minutes; wilt in the greens in stages. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, to taste; douse with lemon juice and serve.