Romano and Black Pepper Polenta with Mushroom Marsala
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO)
- 6 large portobello mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups instant or quick-cooking polenta
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese (4 generous handfuls)
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 cup Marsala wine (eyeball it)
- Flat leaf parsley, chopped (a generous handful)
In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, five turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the portobello mushrooms and cook until tender, about 12 minutes. Set the skillet aside.
In a saucepan, simmer the dried porcinis in the vegetable broth until softened, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the porcinis to a cutting board. Chop and set aside. Pour the broth into a bowl, discarding any grit at the bottom of the pan; wipe out the pan. Return the broth to the pan, add the polenta and stir until thick, about 2 minutes. Stir in the cheese and pepper. Keep warm.
Add the Marsala to the skillet with the portobellos; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the reserved chopped porcinis.
Ladle the polenta into bowls. Top with the mushrooms and parsley.