Salmon Niçoise Salad
Present this beautiful French Riviera favorite with salmon atop triple lettuces, tossed with Rach’s delectable dressing and eggs, olives, tomatoes, green beans and radishes served alongside.
- 1 large shallot, peeled
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons herbes de Provence (half a palmful)
- About 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO), plus a drizzle
- Salt and pepper
- 4 fillets salmon, skin-off
- A few sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 head endive, thinly sliced
- 1 head frisée, separated
For the toppings:
- 1/2 pound thin green beans, trimmed and blanched
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced or chopped
- Niçoise olives, for garnish
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced or quartered
Grate the shallot and garlic into a bowl. Add the Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and warm water and whisk to combine. Add the vinegar and herbes de Provence, then stream in about 1/3 cup EVOO while whisking to emulsify the dressing. Season with salt and pepper.
Prep your toppings – you can make them at home or buy them at a large salad bar already prepped for you:
Season the salmon with salt and pepper and the thyme leaves. Heat a drizzle of EVOO in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the salmon and cook for 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for 1-2 minutes more for rare and up to 4 minutes more to cook all the way through. Douse the fish with lemon juice and remove from the heat.
Combine the shredded romaine, endive and frisée in a serving bowl. Dress the greens with salad dressing and adjust the salt and pepper, to taste.
Arrange the dressed greens on plates and top each with a salmon fillet, a few green beans, a couple of halved cherry tomatoes, egg, some olives and sliced radishes.