Sandwich Night: The Sliced Chicken and Mushroom Rachael
This recipe is from the 30 Minute Meals section of Rach’s groundbreaking new cookbook, Look + Cook. Watch a video of Rach cooking this recipe in real time!
A “Rachel” is a Reuben made with turkey or smoked turkey rather than corned beef. This sammie, The Rachael, swaps thinly sliced, freshly cooked chicken breast for the turkey – and it combines sweet sautéed onions with the sauerkraut, swaps nutty Gruyère for deli Swiss cheese and adds homemade herbed Thousand Island dressing and sautéed mushrooms to complement the cheese and chicken, to boot.
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick), divided
- 1/2 pound baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced, or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 package sauerkraut (1 pound), rinsed and drained
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved (6 ounces each half)
- McCormick brand Montreal Steak Seasoning or other grill seasoning blend
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons dill relish
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped, or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 8 slices marble rye, rye or pumpernickel bread
- 8 slices Gruyère cheese or deli Swiss cheese
- 4 large deli pickles
- 1 bunch radishes, halved and salted
In a small skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat, add the mushrooms and raise the heat a bit. Cook the mushrooms for 8-10 minutes, until tender and dark. Add the sage midway through the cooking time. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper after they’re dark and tender, as salt slows the browning by drawing out liquids.
Meanwhile, in a second small skillet over medium heat, melt another tablespoon of butter. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper and cook until tender, 10-12 minutes. Stir in the sauerkraut, warm through and turn off the heat.
While the onion cooks, heat a cast iron pan or griddle to medium-high heat. Season the chicken liberally with Montreal Steak Seasoning. Add the EVOO to the pan or griddle and cook the chicken, turning once, for 12 minutes, or until done. Remove from the heat and wipe down the skillet or griddle and lower the heat to medium-low. Slice the chicken into thin slices on an angle.
While the chicken cooks, stir the sour cream, relish and ketchup together in a small bowl and season with the fresh herbs.
Lightly butter one side of the slices of bread with the remaining tablespoon of butter. Build the sandwiches with buttered sides facing out, in this order: dressing, cheese, mushrooms, sliced chicken, sauerkraut with onions, cheese and ending with the dressing to set in place. Grill the sandwiches for about 3 minutes on each side. Serve with the pickles and salted radishes.