Serious Three-Meat Chili
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound meaty bacon, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds 80% lean ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup chili powder, such as Gebhardt
- 2 teaspoons (2/3 palmful) ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons (2/3 palmful) cumin
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika
- 1 pound spicy breakfast or spicy Italian sausage, bought as bulk or removed from casings
- 2 Anaheim or other mild-heat green peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 red field pepper or bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup lager beer
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 28-ounce can or 2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon honey or sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cornmeal, masa or ground tortilla chips
- White onion, chopped and rinsed
- Pickled jalapeño pepper rings
Add beef to the pot and cook over medium-high heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Season the beef with salt, pepper, chili powder, coriander, cumin, oregano and paprika. Add sausage to the pot as the beef browns then add peppers, celery, onions and garlic. Partially cover pot and cook to soften veggies, 7-8 minutes.
Add Worcestershire, beer, stock, tomatoes, honey or sugar, cornmeal and reserved bacon. Bring to a bubble then reduce heat and simmer chili over medium-low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Serve chili in bowls topped with onions and pickled jalapeños, with cornbread or warm tortilla chips.
Reheat leftovers with a little water or stock to loosen.