Short Ribs in Red Sauce with Rigatoni
Fall-off-the-bone short ribs in a well-seasoned sauce over pasta make a sensational meal.
- 8-10 bone-in beef short ribs, trimmed of fat
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO)
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 ribs celery, finely diced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 large fresh bay leaves
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red or white wine or 2 additional cups beef stock
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 can Italian San Marzano tomatoes (32 ounces)
- 1 herb bundle of sage, parsley and thyme
- 1-1 1/2 pounds rigatoni, regular or whole wheat
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- Freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese, divided
- Finely chopped flat leaf parsley, for garnish
Pre-heat the oven to 325ºF.
Heat the EVOO in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the meat with salt and pepper and brown all over in batches. Remove the meat to a plate and add the vegetables, garlic and bay leaves to the pot; season with salt and pepper. Cook to soften, 5-6 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, cook for 1 minute, then add the wine. Reduce by half, then add the stock and tomatoes. Break up the tomatoes and slide the meat back in along with the herb bundle. Cover and transfer to the oven; cook to tender, 2 1/2 hours.
Remove the meat and discard the herb bundle. Cover and keep warm; simmer the sauce to thicken while you cook the rigatoni.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Season the water with salt and cook the rigatoni to al dente. Drain the pasta and toss with butter and half to two-thirds of the sauce. Serve the pasta topped with the meat on or off the bone. Pass extra sauce at the table with the remaining cheese.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, visit