This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com .
- 8 fresh plum tomatoes or 1 28-ounce can San Marzano tomatoes
- 4 12-ounce sirloin steaks 1-inch thick
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small red chili pepper or 1 teaspoon flakes
- 1 cubanelle pepper or mild frying pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup sweet vermouth or dry red wine
If using fresh tomatoes, mark skins with an X and drop tomatoes into boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Cold shock them in ice water then peel and coarsely chop.
Heat grill or cast-iron skillet. Season the steaks with Kosher salt and black pepper.
Heat a deep skillet over medium-high heat with olive oil, 4 turns of the pan . Add mushrooms and brown them; add peppers, onions, garlic and oregano to pan , and season with salt and pepper. Partially cover pan and cook to tender, 7-10 minutes. Add sweet vermouth or wine to vegetables then add tomatoes. Cover and simmer to break down tomatoes, 15-20 minutes.
Grill or cook steaks on the grill or in the hot pan for about 8-10 minutes, turning once for medium-rare to medium doneness. Allow steaks to rest a few minutes then thinly slice the steaks against the grain and serve topped with lots of chunky mushroom, pepper and onion pizzaiola sauce.