Sliced Steak Sandwiches with Roasted Tomatoes
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1 1/2 pounds hanger steak or 2 boneless ribeye steaks
- 4 cloves garlic, 1 halved and 3 crushed
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, chopped
- Kosher salt and coarse pepper
- Olive oil, for liberal drizzling
- 24 cocktail tomatoes or 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- A few sprigs thyme, leaves stripped from stem
- 4 cups baby kale or arugula
- Shaved Grana Padano or Parmigiano, about 1 cup (use a vegetable peeler to make curls or wide mouth Microplane)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 ciabatta rolls or Italian hero rolls
Preheat oven to 400°F and place a rack in the upper third of the oven.
Bring meat to room temp and rub with cut garlic. Dress with rosemary, salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil to coat.
Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Dress tomatoes with olive oil and toss with crushed garlic cloves, salt, pepper and thyme. Roast to burst tomatoes, about 20 minutes.
Dress greens with lemon juice and lightly with olive oil. Add a little salt and toss in cheese.
Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
While the skillet heats, lightly toast split rolls to crisp.
Cook beef until crispy and brown on both sides, 6-8 minutes for hanger steak, 8-10 for rib eyes; brown the edges too. Let stand 10 minutes, thinly slice.
Assemble sammies: on the roll bottom, place greens and cheese, sliced steak, burst tomatoes and set roll tops in place.