Smoky Bacon and Bean Salad
For a complete meal, serve with Three-Alarm Italian Style Chili Mac.
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus extra for drizzling
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 cans chickpeas (15 ounces), rinsed and dried
- A few healthy pinches of crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 hearts of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 rounded teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (eyeball it)
Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of EVOO and the bacon. Crisp the bacon then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Add dried chickpeas and reduce heat to medium. Cook until toasted and lightly browned, about 10-12 minutes. Season chickpeas with salt and crushed pepper flakes and cool.