Smoky Greens with Cranberries
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO)
- 4 slices hickory or applewood smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds kale, washed and dried in clean kitchen towels
- Salt and pepper
- A little freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- A handful of dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 cup chicken stock
Heat a high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add the EVOO and bacon and crisp the bacon. Strip the kale from its stems while the bacon crisps up. Coarsely chop the kale and add to the pan to wilt.. Season the greens with salt, pepper and a little nutmeg. Scatter in the cranberries and stir in the stock.
Simmer the greens fopr 10 minutes over medium-low heat to plump the cranberries and sweeten the greens.