Sourdough Patty Melt Reubens
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seed
- 1 1/2 pounds 80% lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 small onion, peeled
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons pickle relish, preferred brand Wickle’s
- 1/4 cup ketchup, preferred brand Sir Kensington’s
- A few dashes Chipotle Tabasco or other hot sauce
- 1 pound sauerkraut, drained
- Olive or vegetable oil, for drizzling
- Dill or garlic dill pickle chips/slices
- 1/2 pound each deli-sliced Swiss cheese and Provolone cheese
- Softened butter
- 8 slices sourdough bread
In a small stainless steel skillet, toast caraway and cumin seeds until fragrant. Grind in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle, and reserve.
Heat a cast-iron or 2-burner griddle or a large, cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
Place beef in a mixing bowl and add ground caraway and cumin. Douse evenly with Worcestershire and, using a handheld grater, grate onion directly over bowl to catch juices. Season meat generously with Kosher salt and pepper and mix with your hands to combine. Form 4 large, thin patties that are even thinner at the center for even cooking.
In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine sour cream, relish, ketchup and hot sauce, to taste. Add sauerkraut and mix well.
Butter 1 side of each bread slice lightly and evenly. Build sandwiches with buttered slices facing out: bread, pickles, provolone, patty, sauerkraut and Swiss.
Griddle sandwiches until deeply golden and crispy, cut in half on a bias and serve.