SXHD….. in a Blanket! (South By Hot Dogs in a Blanket!)
For the Charred Tomatillo Salsa:
- 6-8 medium fresh tomatillos, husked
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, cracked from skin
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1 poblano, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Juice of 1 lime
- Small handful of cilantro leaves
- 8 good-quality hot dogs
- 8, 6-7 inch flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup good quality vegetarian spicy refried beans, warmed through
- 1/2 cup Chihuahua, Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- Cooking spray
For the salsa:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Place the tomatillos, onion, garlic, jalapeño and poblano on a baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in oven and roast for about 20 minutes or until tomatillos are charred. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Place everything in the food processor along with the honey, cumin, lime and cilantro and adjust seasoning.
Place a medium size saucepot of water over medium low heat and add hot dogs until warmed through. Keep on low until ready to use.
Working over a gas stove or on a hot skillet, char the flour tortillas on one side and flip, working with the charred side up.
Slather the tortilla with about 1 tablespoon of the refried beans leaving at least a 1-inch border. Sprinkle with a tablespoon or so of cheese, top with a spoonful of the charred tomatillo salsa and place a hot dog on top. Roll everything in the tortilla blanket and spray with cooking spray. Place on the skillet and cook until brown on both sides, about 1-2 minutes per side.