Spicy Ziti with Sausage
Coordinate the ingredients for this super simple spicy pasta with Skillet Chicken with Hot and Sweet Peppers and Bacon Burgers with Carmelized Onions and Gorgonzola to make three recipes with just one grocery bag!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO)
- 1/2 pound ground beef sirloin or chuck
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound hot Italian sausage or fresh Mexican chorizo, casings removed
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red or or white wine
- 2 cans San Marzano tomatoes (28-32 ounces each) – look for DOP on the label
- 1 cup beef stock or veal stock
- 1 pound regular or whole grain ziti rigate
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmagiano Reggiano cheese
In a large Dutch oven, heat the EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the beef and season with salt and pepper. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it into crumbles as it browns. Add the rosemary and garlic and stir a couple of minutes. Deglaze the pan with the wine. Add the tomatoes and stock and simmer for 30 minutes.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water and cook the pasta to al dente. Ladle out about a cup of the starchy cooking water and add it to the sauce. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Add the sauce, tossing with tongs for 1-2 minutes for the flavors to absorb.
Serve with cheese.