Spinach and Artichoke Mac and Cheese with Garlic Bread Breadcrumbs
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
For the base sauce:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup grainy mustard
- 2 cups shredded low moisture mozzarella
- 1 cup shredded fontina or mild provolone for base sauce
- 1 3-ounce brick cream cheese, cut into pieces at room temperature or 4 ounces gorgonzola Dolce
- 1 16-ounce bag chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed out in a kitchen towel
- 2 cups defrosted artichoke hearts or bottoms, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 1/2 cups coarsely ground breadcrumbs from pieces of stale Italian bread
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cups chopped flat-leaf parsley
Make the base sauce for the mac: Bring cream, garlic clove and mustard to a low boil, and simmer 5 minutes to thicken. Remove garlic clove and add in cheese; stir to melt.
Add spinach and artichokes to cheese sauce, add pasta and stir to combine. Place in a casserole dish.
Melt butter in a small pot over medium heat, swirl butter with minced garlic a minute or 2 and toss with breadcrumbs to moisten. Combine with cheese and parsley then sprinkle over casserole.
Bake mac until brown and bubbly, and serve.