Steaks with Grilled Leeks and Celery-Radish Salad
Family and friends will enjoy a pretty presentation of grilled seasoned steaks crossed with grilled leeks. Serve with a crisp vegetable and tomato salad.
- 4 large leeks, tops trimmed but root ends kept intact, halved lengthwise and rinsed thoroughly
- Extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO), for liberal drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 4 sirloin steaks (about 1 inch thick)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, for brushing
- 2-3 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 celery heart with leaves, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley leaves
- 4 large radishes, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Celery salt, for sprinkling
- 2 large, ripe tomatoes, thickly sliced
Pre-heat an outdoor grill or grill pan to medium-high. In a large pot, bring 3 inches of water to a boil. Add the leeks and parboil for 3 minutes. Transfer to a clean towel and let cool, cut-side down. Dress with a little EVOO, salt and pepper. Meanwhile, brush the steaks with the Worcestershire sauce, then season on both sides with the rosemary, garlic, a thin coating of EVOO, salt and pepper. Let stand for 15 minutes.
Grill the steaks for 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare, or a minute more per side for medium to medium well doneness. Grill the leeks until marked, about 2 minutes on each side.
While the steaks cook, in a salad bowl, combine the celery, parsley, radishes, lemon juice and a drizzle of EVOO. Sprinkle with the celery salt and pepper.
Serve the steaks topped with a criss-crossed grilled leek and with tomato slices alongside. Top the tomatoes with the celery salad.