Stuffed Pepper Stoup
Rachael says, “The man who owns my local oil company makes a great stuffed pepper soup, but it takes too long for me to make it for myself. Here’s a sped-up stoup version of my own. Mr. Waterhouse’s is tops, but this is a close second – if you don’t know Mr. Waterhouse.”
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef sirloin
- Salt and black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice (eyeball it)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, cut into bite-size dice
- 3 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into bite-size dice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 12-15 basil leaves, shredded or torn
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano, to pass at table
Heat a medium soup pot over medium-high heat with the EVOO. When the EVOO is hot, add beef and season with salt, black pepper and allspice. Brown the meat for 5 minutes then add garlic, onion, peppers and bay leaf and cook for 7-8 minutes, until tender.
Stir in stock and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook to al dente, 7-8 minutes. Turn off heat. Fold in basil.
Serve in shallow bowls with grated cheese.