Swedish Meatballs with Pasta
This recipe was created to be taken into space with the launch of space shuttle Discovery in 2006.
- 1 pound mixed ground beef, pork and veal
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4-1/3 cup cream
- 3 tablespoons white onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg (eyeball it)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons of your choice: lingonberry preserves, red currant or grape jelly
- 1 pound egg noodles, cooked to al dente
- Finely chopped fresh dill, for garnish
- Finely chopped parsley, for garnish
- 1/2 cup cornichons or baby gherkin pickles, finely chopped (optional)
Pre-heat oven to 400ºF.
Heat a saucepot over medium heat. Melt the butter, whisk in the flour and cook for a minute or two. Then whisk in stock and thicken for 6-8 minutes. Stir in sour cream and jelly and warm through. Season the finished sauce with salt and pepper.
Mix meatballs and egg noodles with sauce and garnish with dill, parsley and finely chopped cornichons or baby gherkin pickles, if using.