This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com .
- 1 4-pound chicken
- About 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch wedges/half moons
- 1 large or 2 medium red onions, root attached, peeled and cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1 large or 2 medium firm, tart apples, such as Northern Spy apples, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch wedges and dressed with juice of 1/2 lemon
- EVOO  – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped, divided
- Black pepper
- 1/4 cup puréed chipotle in adobo
- 2 rounded tablespoons Acacia honey or maple syrup
- 4 slices meaty smoky bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup amber beer
Salt chicken inside and out, tie legs together and trim wing tips. Refrigerate several hours or overnight uncovered or on the counter for at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Combine chipotle and honey or maple syrup and a drizzle of oil. Slather bird with sauce and season with pepper and thyme.
Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook to render fat. Remove pan  from heat, add vegetables to the pan  and set chicken on top. Transfer skillet to oven and roast 1 hour to an internal temperature of 160°F on thermometer.
Let chicken rest 15-20 minutes.
Remove vegetables to platter and place pan on heat, whisk  in cider and beer, and cook to reduce pan drippings by half.
Carve chicken into 8 pieces and serve with squash, apples and onions and cider-beer jus.