Sweet Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Meatballs
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe/Rapini, trimmed of tough ends
- 1 1/2 pounds (6 links) sweet Italian sausage with fennel seed, casings removed
- 1 cup homemade breadcrumbs, moistened with whole milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- A handful parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
Bring a few inches of water to a boil in a deep skillet or pot. Salt water, add broccoli rabe and cook 4-5 minutes. Drain, cool and chop.
Place sausage in a bowl. Squeeze excess liquid from the breadcrumbs then add to sausage along with the chopped broccoli rabe, egg yolks, parsley, lemon zest, garlic, grated cheese and EVOO. Use a small scoop to form 2-inch meatballs, arranging them on the parchment-lined sheet as you go. Transfer to oven and roast to golden and cooked through, about 15-18 minutes.