Thai Beef Salad
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola or peanut oil
- Sriacha, to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds hanger or skirt steak
- Salt and pepper
- Salt and pepper 1 tablespoon canola or peanut oil
- 1 lime, halved
- 1/2 bunch mint (3/4 cup loosely packed), roughly chopped or torn
- 1/2 bunch basil (about 1 cup loosely packed), torn
- 1 large bunch watercress or upland cress
- 1 green papaya or papaya, peeled, seeded and very thinly sliced
- 2 vine tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 small red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced on bias
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, thinly sliced or chopped
Rub meat with salt and pepper, and drizzle with oil. Preheat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Grill steak to medium rare, about 8 minutes, remove and let rest. Caramelize the lime halves cut-side down in skillet, 2 minutes.
Thinly slice meat. Douse the meat with juice of caramelized lime.