Toasted Strawberry ‘Shortcake’ with Basil Whipped Cream
- 2 King’s Hawaiian Hot Dog or Hamburger Buns, opened
- Softened butter, for spreading
- Honey, for drizzling
- 1 lb. strawberries, hulled and sliced or quartered
- Sugar, for sprinkling, to taste, and some for the whipped cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8-10 basil leaves, stacked, rolled, and very thinly sliced; some reserved for garnish
Place the buns in a toaster or oven and cook until golden brown and lightly toasted. When done, remove and slather a light coating of butter on all halves. Drizzle with honey. Cut or tear into 1” chunks and divide between 4 small plates or bowls.
Place the sliced or quartered strawberries in a mixing bowl and sprinkle with sugar to your desired sweetness. Let sit for about 5 minutes, or up to an hour.
While the strawberries are macerating, place cream in a stand mixer and whip on high speed. Add a few pinches of sugar, until soft peaks form. If you do not have a stand mixer, you may use a handheld mixer – or if using a whisk, beat by hand. When you have reached soft peaks, gently fold in the sliced basil.
Evenly distribute the strawberries over the four dishes of toasted bread and place a nice dollop of basil whipped cream on top. Using the reserved basil, garnish the top.
[This recipe is part of a sponsorship with our partner, King’s Hawaiian.]