This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com .
- 1 loosely packed cup (a fat handful) dried, sliced porcini mushrooms
- 2 cups turkey or chicken stock
- 1 package (1 pound or 500 grams) paccheri or rigatoni
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- A few leaves fresh sage, very thinly sliced
- 1 pound pulled or chopped turkey or rotisserie chicken, white and dark meat combined
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for passing at the table
- EVOO  – Extra Virgin Olive Oil (optional)
Place the dried mushrooms in a small pot  and add the stock to cover. Bring to a low boil over high heat then reduce heat to medium and simmer until the mushrooms are softened and plumped, about 10 minutes; remove from heat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mushrooms to a cutting board  and chop; reserve the mushroom stock.
Bring a large pot  of water to a boil for the pasta.
Heat a large, deep skillet or sauté pan  over medium heat. Add the oil, three turns of the pan , then add the onion, garlic, bay leaf and sage. Cook, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, 12-15 minutes. Add the turkey or chicken and cook until heated through, about 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring to coat, about 1 minute. Add the wine and stir for 1 minute. Add the reserved chopped mushrooms and slowly pour in the mushroom stock, leaving any grit in the bottom of the pot. Add the crushed tomatoes, reduce heat to low and let the sauce simmer while the pasta cooks.
Salt the boiling water, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Add 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water to the sauce and discard the bay leaf. Drain the pasta and add to the sauce with cheese. Toss to coat and drizzle with EVOO , if you wish. Serve the pasta in shallow bowls , topped with more cheese.
From Rachael Ray Every Day , November 2017