A “stoup” is somewhere between a soup and a stew – don’t forget to serve this stoup with crusty bread for mopping up all the delicious flavors.
This recipe is also a great way to use leftover turkey!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium size carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (15 ounces)
- 1 quart chicken or turkey stock
- 5 cups shredded turkey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 package small cheese ravioli
- 1/2 cup basil leaves (a couple of handfuls), torn or chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Place a large soup pot over medium-high heat with the EVOO. Add onion, celery, carrots, garlic and bay leaf and cook until soft and fragrant, about 4-5 minutes. Add the stewed tomatoes, chicken or turkey stock and the shredded turkey. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Add ravioli to the stoup and cook according to package directions. Add the basil and serve each bowl of turkey stoup with a sprinkle of Parmigiano Reggiano.