This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com .
For the meat sauce:
- 2 tablespoons EVOO  – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces pancetta, finely chopped/diced
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound (2 links) sweet sausage with fennel, casings removed
- 4 chicken livers (about 3 ounces), trimmed and very finely chopped (optional)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme or 1 teaspoon dried leaves
- A few grates nutmeg
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 28-ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 pound ziti rigate or penne rigate
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, drained
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, diced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parm cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
For the béchamel:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup warm milk
- Salt, white pepper and nutmeg, to taste
- 1/2 cup cream
- A handful grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
For the meat sauce, heat EVOO , 2 turns of the pan  and melt in butter. Add pancetta, render 2 minutes then add beef and sausage (and liver, if using). Brown 12-15 minutes then add onions, bay, thyme, nutmeg, garlic, salt, pepper and rosemary, and cook 10 minutes more. Add wine and let it absorb; add tomatoes and simmer 30-40 minutes.
Cook pasta 5 minutes in salted boiling water. Reserve 1 cup starchy cooking water then drain and run pasta under cold water to cool.
Combine ricotta, mozzarella, eggs, Parm, parsley, salt and pepper in bowl .
For the béchamel, heat a saucepot  over medium heat, add butter and melt. Whisk  in flour then milk, season with salt, white pepper and nutmeg to taste, lower heat and add cream. Cook to thicken slightly.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Toss pasta with all of the meat sauce. Pour half into a lasagna pan  or baking casserole then top with ricotta mixture. Add remaining pasta and meat sauce, and top casserole with béchamel and Parm. Bake to brown and bubbly.