This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com .
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 pound cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 pound ground veal or chicken
- Salt and pepper
- A little freshly grated nutmeg, about 1/8 teaspoon
- 3 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- A handful sage leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons stemmed thyme
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup Marsala
- 2 cups veal or chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pound pappardelle, tagliatelle or linguine
- Grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, for tossing and topping
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- EVOO  – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
Bring a pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
In large skillet  or Dutch oven , heat oil, 2 turns of the pan , over medium-high heat. Melt butter into oil, add the mushrooms and brown well. To the browned mushrooms, add veal or chicken and crumble and brown; season with salt, pepper and a little nutmeg. Add shallots, celery, garlic, sage and thyme. Stir 3-4 minutes to soften, add tomato paste and stir a minute more. Add Marsala, stock and milk to the sauce, bring to a bubble, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes over low heat.
Cook pasta to al dente in salted water. Add a cup of salted cooking water to the sauce, drain pasta then toss with the sauce to combine, adding in a few handfuls of cheese and parsley. Drizzle with EVOO  to finish.
Serve the pasta in shallow bowls  and pass extra cheese at table.