Whiskey-Bacon-Cheddar Cheese Ball
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 12 slices smoky bacon
- 1 8-ounce brick cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup cubed sharp white cheddar cheese (Irish or American) plus 1 1/2 cups shredded
- 1 shallot, grated
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/4 cup good quality Irish whisky, such as Jamesons
- 2 to 3 dashes bitters, such as Angostura
- About 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup smoked almonds, chopped or coarsely processed
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
- A handful parsley, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Using a rubber spatula, stir in shredded cheese, whisky, bitters, Worcestershire, mustard, salt, pepper and about two-thirds of the bacon bits. Reserve the rest of the bacon for topping.
Lay a good amount of plastic wrap on a flat surface and transfer cheese mixture to the plastic. Twist up the four corners of the plastic and tighten to form a ball shape. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
In a shallow dish, combine chopped smoked almonds, reserved bacon bits and fresh chives and parsley. Roll the cheese ball in the mixture until the ball is completely and evenly coated.
Serve with your favorite crackers, pretzel rods or veggie planks such as carrots, parsnips, red peppers and/or celery.